Kalkaska County provides a Burial Allowance of $300 to eligible applicants to offset the cost of a Veteran’s burial, or the burial of a Veteran's spouse.
1. Completed Burial Allowance Application, usually completed and signed by the Funeral
Home Director and forwarded to our office;
2. DD 214 / Discharge showing dates of active service and character of discharge;
3. Death certificate, showing Kalkaska County as decedent’s home of residence at the
time of death;
4. Invoice from the funeral home showing cost of services, current balance, and name
of the person responsible for payment of the costs.
Veterans may also be entitled to Federal burial benefits such as:
- Federal burial allowances
- Government furnished VA Headstone, Grave Marker, Niche Marker, or Medallion
- Burial flag
- Presidential Memorial certificates
Additional information can be found at the va.gov website: https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/burial_benefits/index.asp
VA National Cemeteries offering pre-need eligibility determination
The VA provides eligibility determination for interment in a VA National Cemetery, prior to the time of need. Interested Veterans and their spouses may submit an Application for Pre-Need Determination to the VA National Cemetery Scheduling Office via Fax or U.S. Mail. Click here for information and the Application.