The Kalkaska County Department of Veterans Affairs provides access to burial benefits for deceased veterans or a Veteran’s deceased spouse. Kalkaska County can pay $300 to eligible applicants to offset the cost of a Veteran’s burial or the burial of a Veteran's spouse.
- Completed Burial Allowance Application, usually completed and signed by the Funeral Home
Director and forwarded to our office.
- DD 214 or similar showing dates of active service and character of discharge
- Death certificate, showing Kalkaska County as decedent’s home of residence at the time of death
- Invoice from the funeral home showing cost of services, current balance, and name of the person
responsible for payment of the costs.
Veterans may also be entitled to Federal burial benefits such as:
- Federal burial allowances
- Free VA Headstone or Marker
- Burial flags
- Presidential Memorial certificates
Additional information can be found at the va.gov website: https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/burial_benefits/index.asp