Programs & Policies

Programs & Policies

Kalkaska County Commission on Aging
303 S. Coral St 231 258-5030

Meals on Wheels Program
1. Must be 60 years of age or the spouse of a person 60 years or older, or be an individual with disabilities who resides in a non-residential household with a person eligible for and receiving home delivered meals.
2. Spouse of an eligible client, or an individual with disabilities, residing with an eligible client, may receive a home delivered meal if the assessment indicates receipt of a meal is in the best interest of the client.
3. Must be homebound, i.e. does not leave the home under normal circumstances.
4. Must be unable to participate in the congregate meal program because of physical or emotional difficulties.
5. Must be unable to obtain food and prepare complete meals.
6. There is no adult living in the same residence or in the vicinity that is willing and able to prepare all meals.
7. Special dietary needs can be appropriately met by the nutrition program.
8. Must be able to feed themselves.
9. Must agree to be home when the meals are delivered. Bridge Card is accepted.

Meal site requirements
To be eligible a person must be 60 years of age or older, or the spouse of a person 60 years or older, or be the handicapped or disabled individual who has not attained 60 years of age or older that lives with an elderly person, ie: parent or in Senior Housing. The suggested donation is $3 per meal.
Participants who have not reached the age of 60 are welcome, but will be charged $5 per meal.  Bridge Cards are accepted.

Dining Out
The Kalkaska COA offers Dining Out Coupons for a $3.50 donation to be used at local restaurants. Currently they can be used at B.C. Pizza, Trout Town Tavern & Eatery, Shirley's In the Woods at Bear Lake on M-72, Yankee Boy in South Boardman, an G's Pizzeria and Deli in Kalkaska.   You must be 60 years or over or the spouse of someone 60 years or over.  The coupons are available in the COA office Monday through Friday from 8 to 10 am and 2 to 4:30 pm and at the lobby desk from 10 am to 2 pm. Call for more details.

Medical Transportation
Transportation is available through the COA for medical appointments only.  This will include dentist, eye doctor and prescription pickup.  There is a minimal fee of $10.00 to $20.00. Please give us at least two days notice to arrange for a driver. Anything over 100 miles round trip will be settled on before drive is scheduled. Call the Kalkaska COA to set-up all transportation assistance.

Kalkaska Public Transit will assist Kalkaska County residents to medical appointments within Kalkaska County, Monday through Friday, between the ours of 9 am and 2 pm. They ask for a 48-hour notice. KPT will also transport Kalkaska County residents who utilize the out-patient Biederman Cancer Treatment Center in Traverse City. This service is available Monday through Friday. Please call Transit directly at 258-6808 for more information or to schedule transportation.

Other Transportation
Transportation is available through the Kalkaska Public Transportation Authority. Seniors who ride using public transportation will be able to do so at no cost to the senior. Funding for this is provided through the Kalkaska COA millage.

Friendly Visitor
The friendly visitor will make regular contact either through telephone or in-home visits, with home bound or isolated older persons to assure their well being and safety and to provide companionship and social interaction.

Service with Love
Volunteers call home bound seniors to see how they are doing and to give them peace of mind that someone is thinking of them that lives near them. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

Tax Assistance
Cancelled at this time due to lack of volunteers for the program.

Medicare/Medicaid Assistance
Year round volunteer MMAP counselors are available with appointment.

In-Home Services
Please call the COA office for information regarding light housekeeping, personal care, or respite care help. 

Foot Care
The Kalkaska COA offers foot care by a Registered Nurse by appointment only. Foot care is offered in-center, in-home, and at our Rapid City site, dependent on the client's situation. Insulin dependent diabetics must let the receptionist know when they make an appointment.  

Medical Equipment Loan Closet
The Medical loan closet is available to all Kalkaska County senior citizens.  We have a variety of medical equipment: wheelchairs, walkers, canes, bed rails, toilet seat risers, commodes, and more.  We also have a limited amount of pullups, pads, and liners depending on donations from outside sources.  We also accept donations of usable, clean equipment and continence supplies (open packaging is accepted). Call the COA office at 258-5030 for more information.